Assert the presence of a web element (with a wait)

I had an issue where I was checking to see if an element exists but the element was not fully loaded by the time the code did the check, so it would fail. I could put a sleep in the code to give the element time to load but that is not a good solution since a 2 second sleep today could need a 3 or 4 second sleep tomorrow depending on server and network load. I wanted to keep the code related to the web element in the page object file but the driver.findElements function does not provide a wait so I came up with this solution.

I posted this as a Help topic to see if there is a better way to do this.

In “my page object file”, I created a method that will look for “someElement” using the web driver wait value and returns true if it finds the element and false if it does not find it. I had to check to see if the result is not null since it returns an element object and cannot be converted to a Boolean for a basic if statement check.

public Boolean isSomeElementPresent() {
      if (this.wait.until(ExpectedConditions.visibilityOfElementLocated(this.someElement)) != null) {
         return true;
      }
      return false;
   }

Then in my test file I did a simple assert:

Assert.assertTrue("my page object file".isSomeElementPresent());

FUTURE REQUIREMENT: A possible solution could be an addition to the list of “Is” options in the drop down when you drag an element into the page object file. You could add 4 options to the list by copying the existing ones and add “with Wait”. One might argue why not just always use the one “with wait” but I think there would be cases where you might choose a different option depending on the structure and speed of your application.

Hi @jmsc7ran
As you said, there are many use cases regarding this, and adding 4 more options to the context menu may clutter it. I will inform the team about your request, and see what could be done in this case :slight_smile:
Regards

Waiting for an elements presence or visibility is definitely one of the most important part when automating with Selenium and also the reason, if omitted, for a lot of flaky tests.
I am not sure I fully understand what your use case was but wouldn’t the Is -> element visible or is -> element present conditions do exactly what you’ve been looking for? The resulting code would be

// visible check
Boolean isVisible = this.wait.until(ExpectedConditions.visibilityOfElementLocated(this.yourElement)).isDisplayed();

// presence check
Boolean isPresent = driver.findElements(this.yourElement).size() > 0;

By dragging this as a method and return the variable you should have your getter action available.

Moreover pretty much every action like Click or the like already do wait for the elements visibility

this.wait.until(ExpectedConditions.visibilityOfElementLocated(this.yourElement)).click();

That said you should never have to actually use driver.findElement/s but instead always go the route through a wait + Expected Condition since it will result in your element just as findElement and on top of that perform the explicit wait until the condition is met.

Apologies, I did not fully understand how Is -> element visible works until now. I had used Is -> element present but the element was not fully loaded by the time I checked for it in the code. Once I changed it to ‘Is -> element visible’, it waited until the element was there and then continued with the code. It is working perfect now. Thank you!

The use case is I am checking web pages that have new elements added and want to ensure they are now present.

Alright that clears it up. Yep so checking for visibility is a long-lasting (you see that by the usage of this.wait) event. Is present is more of a one-off check which you’d do e.g right before an assertion where you know that the state of your SUT should be stabilized already.

closed #6