Credential management and Ranorex Webtestit

As you are developing your awesome automated tests with Ranorex Webtestit, most likely you will use one of our neat third-party service integrations like Jira, SauceLabs or TestRail. Of course, the mentioned services require you to have an account which you need to connect with Ranorex Webtestit to make actual use of them.
In our Preferences dialog, under the Apps & Integrations category you can easily accomplish this by filling out the required fields and clicking on the Connect button.

Now, if you ever wondered what happens with your credentials data and if your personal information is safe, you are in the right place here, and you can find your answers below :wink:

Where are my credentials stored?

After you have checked the “Remember password” checkbox Ranorex Webtestit uses the Operating System’s keychain to store your credentials. Depending on the type of Operating System you are using, they can be found here:

• Windows - Windows users can find all their stored credentials data in the Credential Manager. Simply open the credential manager and you will notice the newly stored user and password combinations in the list

• MacOS - Our dear MacOS users can find their credentials info in the KeyChain Access. Opening the KeyChain you can search, for example, for your Sauce Labs credentials and they will pop up in the search results

• Linux - If you are a Linux user, all the credentials that you decided to store and remember with Ranorex Webtestit can be found on Passwords and Keys credential manager ( GNOME Keyring )

Can I delete my credentials?

Credentials can easily be modified and deleted. Note that disconnecting the service and deleting the credentials info from within the application does not remove the cerdentials from your Operating System’s keychain, and the best way to do so is to remove the stored credential combinations from the Keychain itself. So simply open the Keychain and remove all the combinations that you want to.

How secure is the keychain?

The keychains are only as secure as you make them. Ranorex Webtestit stores the credentials to your keychain only if the “Remember my credentials” option is checked. Leaving this option unchecked and entering your personal info results in temporary credential stored in the memory, and this way you will have your credentials at disposal for your current project until close the application and the credentials are no longer available.

If you want to know more about keychain security, here are some useful links for Windows, macOS and Linux

If you want the full control over your personal data, you can store your passwords in a third-party password manager of your choice such as KeePass. As previously mentioned, once entered without the Remember password option, the credential are available until Ranorex Webtestit is running. So simply copy the credentials from the password manager and you are all set for the session!

How can I provide credentials to my CI pipeline?

We suggest using environment variables!
Based on the service integration that Ranorex Webtestit supports, the following environment variables can be set and used:

• Sauce Labs - SAUCE_USERNAME and SAUCE_ACCESS_KEY

• TestRail - TESTRAIL_USERNAME and TESTRAIL_PASSWORD

• Jira - JIRA_USERNAME and JIRA_PASSWORD

So in the Command-line interface, the environment variables are read and used as credentials for the appropriate service.

If you are using Ranorex Webtestit in GUI mode, and your project has no credentials set, the environment variable will be used as a credentials suggestion when you get the prompt in the application.

Release notes v1.5.0
Release notes v1.5.1