Unable to create first project

Installed Ranorex 1.6.0. Clicked New Project, entered project name “fwregression”,. choose Java language, pressed Save. It went back to the welcome screen, then popped up error window with “An error occured”, Context: Project creation and the message “An automated crash report was sent to us”. If I click on the Show error message link it display nothing. Sadly, not off to a very good start.

Hi @jmsc7ran!
Is this happening on the TypeScript projects as-well? Could you give it a shot with a TypeScript project, and perhaps try to reinstall your JDK and try with the adopt JDK?
Also what could be useful is for you to send us the Ranorex Webtestit log file. The log file is located under C:\Users\youtUsermane.webtestit\log so that we could take a closer look at the error. You can send it at [email protected] email address.
We are sorry for the inconvenience!
Kind regards

Hello,
I looked at the log file and found this error:
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“This environment variable is needed to run this program”}
{“level”:“info”,“message”:“NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE”}

I checked my path, which contained: %JAVA_HOME% and that variable was defined as: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_201\bin
I changed the %JAVA_HOME% variable and removed the \bin and added \bin on the end of the variable in the path and it worked although not sure why that made a difference. I’m up and running now, thank you.

wow that sounds weird. Sorry for the bad experience at the start @jmsc7ran.
So from reading your feedback it sounds like you essentially had to remove the ending \bin from the JAVA_HOME and add it instead to the PATH entry? I guess you’ve been able to execute java/javac directly from your terminal before as well right?

I know, very strange right? Yes, I have been able to execute java/javac directly from a terminal and have used several programs that require java.

Did you have the setup done before you installed/started Webtestit the first time or did you do it while in the install/create project process? If so, the PATH env variable is only read in when starting Webtestit so that could explain it.